I’m just coming off of a 48 hour unplugged period. For 48 hours I committed to unplugging — from almost everything! I deleted Facebook and every other social media app from my phone. I turned the computer off and put it away. I blocked calls from every number in my phone except four strategic people. I deleted email from my phone, silencing the never ending chime of new messages.

Why did I do this? I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown. I swear! I haven’t been that frazzled since Sylas was a newborn and I was so sleep deprived. I’ve been working nonstop for months on end. The last day I had entirely off work was Christmas Eve and the time before that was 54 days prior. Between regular work and freelance work I hit a wall. A nasty, scary, pathetic wall.

I know when I work too much strange things start happening. I begin to get angry for no particular reason. My blood pressure gets high enough the doctor holds me hostage in a dark room until it lowers and is no longer stroke level. I quit sleeping and turn into a manic writing tornado. And I feel like shit!

In order to prevent a total crash I took two days off work and unplugged. So what did I do with my two days off? The first day I slept 11 hours and knitted a hat I would never wear in public. I also ate three meals on day one that I cooked and included real food. Amazing!


Day two I slept 8 hours and knitted a second hat that I wouldn’t wear in public. I also had lunch with a dear friend, walked the nature trail, cooked, played disc golf with my guy, cleaned my car and went to bed by 10 p.m.


I messaged Heather and Katie and said I felt almost human again and I thought it might be a good idea to schedule two days off every couple months. Katie, always the counselor, replied with, “Or you could be like a normal person and do it every week — it’s called the weekend.”

She is right! Her reply plus the quiet time gave me a lot of time to think. To think about what I want and what I need. I’m a firm believer in choosing to live in joy and laughter. It’s time I make choices each day to create the reality I want.

Like most people I have a bucket list. Things I want to see or do and try before I die. Knitting a hat was on the list. I don’t know why I put it on the list so many years ago. But now I can check it off. I’ve knitted three hats now and I’m getting closer to one I would wear in public. Funny thing is now that I took the time off to knit the hat I had time to add a few more things to the bucket list.

I guess that means I’ll have to actually use a weekend to mark some more things off the list. In order to make sure it happens and in order to prevent total burnout I’ve committed to keeping Facebook off of my phone and deactivating email on the weekends. I’m learning if I don’t set the boundaries I just don’t stop until I crash.


I’m now onto hat number five and they have improved but I still haven’t made the perfect wear in public hat yet… However, Sylas K happens to love wearing the hats any time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *